Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Ayam Goreng Kak Timah, Kak Timah's Fried Chicken - "Malaysian Monday 57"



This is yet another recipe from my nanny Kak Timah that I crave quite frequently but thankfully all ingredients required can be sourced easily and the preparation can't be more simple and straightforward.

These addictive fried chicken is a must whenever we are making nasi lemak at home and it never failed to transport me back to my simple carefree days.

I prefer to use a whole chicken - this way everyone can enjoy their favourite part of the bird but feel free to use just thighs or wings if chopping up a whole chicken is not something you rather do.



recipe from Kak Timah
serves 6 to 8 as part of a Malaysian meal
you'll need;
1 free range chicken, cut into manageable pieces
2 lemon grass, chopped
1 thumb size piece of turmeric, peeled
1 thumb size piece of galangal, peeled and chopped
5 cm knob of ginger, chopped
6 garlic cloves, chopped
1 tbs of ground black pepper
2 tbs of light soy
1 tbs of chicken powder
pinch of salt
oil for deep frying



Cut chicken into manageable pieces.



Blend or pound all chopped ingredients into a course paste.



Marinate chicken pieces with the spice mix, chicken powder and salt for at least 2 hours.



Fry chicken in batches until golden and crispy, drain well.



Serve as part of a Malaysian meal or as a side dish for nasi lemak.



I am hosting this month's event, please send all your entries to sureshchong@yahoo.com. To find out more about MMM and on how to enter, simply click HERE

9 comments:

  1. Harriet From CarltonOctober 25, 2011 at 2:25 PM

    I can just have the whole plate by myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are absolutely right, theses chicken is perfect with nasi lemak!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My goodnes I can't believe I only just discovered your blog. Your blog is AMAZING!!! So many wonderful Malaysian recipes that really, really hits home. Can't wait to browse through all the stuff you've shared and hopefully try them for myself too. You now have me as another one of your many loyal readers. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My kind of fried chicken, golden n full of flavor!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait for you to come cook for us again, perhaps this can be on the menu? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow that looks delicious.I havent actually had any fried chicken in a while, but yours win me over!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a note. I love to know what you think!

press me

3 hungry tummies

My photo
melbourne, victoria, Australia

linkwithin