Saturday, February 20, 2010

Couscous Crusted Rack Of Lamb With Roasted Kipfler Potatoes


Another Friday night, another unplanned dinner; one of the tummies came home with a whole bag full of goodies and I was more than happy to do the cooking. I often love the challenge of cooking whatever I am given and tonight was such situation. In the bag were two beautiful racks of lamb, a punnet of cherry tomatoes, an avocado, some kipfler potatoes and a packet of lamb lettuce.
I seriously can't remember the last time I dealt with a rack of lamb and the internet can be a really confusing place to find the answer on the right temperature and duration for the best results. I ended up checking the meat every 5 minutes and can very proudly tell you this is one recipe you can rely on judging by the end result.
The lamb racks are obviously the stars here so feel free to use whatever side dishes your heart desires.

serves 3 generously
you'll need;
2 lamb racks
400g of kiflet potatoes, quartered
2 sprigs of rosemary, chopped
3 garlic cloves
1/2 tbs of cumin powder
1 tbs tbs of smoked paprika
1/2 tbs of dried oregano
salt and pepper to taste
olive oil
1/2 cup of couscous
A green salad of your choice

Crush garlic with some salt then mix with 1/2 of the smoked paprika, cumin powder, olive oil, dried oregano and black pepper. Rub lamb racks with the marinate then coat them with couscous, set aside.

Place potatoes in a roasting pan; drizzle with  1 tbs of smoke paprika, chopped rosemary, olive oil and salt and pepper and place it in the oven preheated at 425 degrees C for 20 minutes.

Pan fry lamb racks with a little olive oil til lightly brown (about a minute on each side) Then place them on the rack above the potatoes and roast for 17 minutes for medium rare, turn the racks over half time. Cover the bones with some tin foil to prevent burning.

Rest the racks for at 5 to 7 minutes, meanwhile prepare your salad.

Serve the lamb cutlets with roasted potatoes and the salad of your choice.

With lamb this juicy all you need is some Dijon mustard!

41 comments:

  1. Now how perfectly cooked are those racks of lamb? I'm so full now but I will not say no to a plate of that!
    Btw my dinner was a great success! The quails were perfectly cooked and everyone was raving about the food, I think you have just won 5 other followers :) Thank you very much!
    M.Fong

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of the couscous crust, a must try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am speechless! You are making me feel bad by showing me how wonderful your unplanned dinners turned out! lol
    The lamb looks fantastic! Can I come visit with a bag of goodies too?

    ReplyDelete
  4. 我不吃羊肉但賣像很好呀!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG you are one super cook!!!! everytime~ everytime i come here its something fantastic!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. M.fong,
    Thank you! I am really happy your dinner party went well!
    I'm looking forward to my new followers :)

    Kenny,
    Indeed! :)

    5 Star Foodie ,
    Thank you and please do!

    CW,
    No! U have no intention to make anyone feel bad lol
    You may come as long as there are real goodies inside the bag!

    大肥 ,
    不吃羊肉!? 太可惜了!謝謝!:)

    zurin,
    Haha thank you very much! Just a very simple meal :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. THey look perfectly cooked! Now I'm craving for some lamb.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never seen couscous used as a crust...I've always just used bread crumbs. I will try that sometime. The lamb looks perfectly cooked. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would pay good money for a dish like this, perfectly cooked and unpretentious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful as always. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lamb is something I haven't cooked - This recipe looks so fancy and delicious! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks wonderful...You are doing a great job (Can't help repeating this over n over !!) Have a great week end Tummies !!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The lamb looks so moist and tender, cooked just the way I like it :)
    Kipfler is my favourite too so you win again haha!

    ReplyDelete
  14. pigpigscorner ,
    Thank you! I don't mind a little more too :)

    Bo,
    I was actually looking for semolina but could only find couscous :) It turned out beautifully. Thank you!

    Yasmin,
    Thank you very much!

    Michael,
    Thank you! :)

    Sook,
    Thank you and you must try cooking it ;)

    Gulmohar,
    Oh thank you very much! You have a good weekend too!

    rosa,
    Thank you! I happened to just cooked what was brought back, your lucky day then! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good morning, your unplanned dinner looks superb!
    My attempt on your crispy duck with orange sauce was a great success!
    Too early to crave for lamb? :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's such an awesome meal...like at restaurant! Great food as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great bag of goodies you got! The lamb looks delicious - we need to try cooking lamb sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  18. lamb looks delicious ! well made... must have been great with those potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the couscous crust, must be such nice contrast with the tender juicy meat! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  20. love to eat,
    Oh thank you! You are the second person telling me a successful dinner using my recipes!
    Perhaps! :)

    Mary,
    Thank you very much! :)

    Chef Fresco,
    It was indeed! Is lamb not used as widely in the U.S?

    Pravs,
    Thank you! The potatoes were great too!

    Tricia,
    Thank you! I'll definitely do the same again :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. It will take me all of two minutes to get my mouth-watering butt off my seat and hit the print button :0)

    ReplyDelete
  22. ohh god!! i m drooling here..lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow! I love how you pull together such amazing dinners at the drop of a hat. So...if I visit you bearing some gifts will you make me dinner :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. mycookinghut,
    Thank you very much!

    Angie,
    Thank you!

    Eternally Distracted ,
    Haha thank you!

    Neetz,
    Thanks! :)

    shaz,
    Haha thank you very much! The answer is absolutely :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh !that is a goreous meal!
    And your shots really artistic! They can "speak"!!
    You always inspire me!!!
    Betty xx

    ReplyDelete
  26. your lmab looks so juicy and tender :: I am hungtry now!!! cheers from the french foodie Pierre

    ReplyDelete
  27. Morning buddy! This is another wonderful unplanned dinner and the lamb looks perfectly cooked!

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a beautiful dish, makes my mouth water!

    .. And exactly how I enjoy my lamb :D

    Check out my blog.. www.brisbanebaker.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. คุณ ส มา ร์ ท เพื่อ! อร่อย มาก!

    ReplyDelete
  30. OMG the beauty of your lamb...perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Perfectly cooked lamb! I must stop planning my dinner from now on lol

    ReplyDelete
  32. Betty,
    Thank you very much :) That means a lot! kisses

    pierre,
    Thank you :)

    fitzboy,
    Thanks buddy! Haha it was great how it turned out!

    Brisbane Baker ,
    Thank you very much!

    muu,
    ขอบคุณ มาก! :)

    Liz,
    Thank you :)

    Darren,
    Thank you! perhaps you should :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. wow...u r really a great cook! i m so hungry now..

    ReplyDelete
  34. Darling, the lamb is perfect! If only I can have unplanned dinner like this every night!
    Sophia xxx

    ReplyDelete
  35. I love all the recipes you made this week, I have note in my cook book these, I promiss you, I'll do it !
    Have a nice week

    ReplyDelete
  36. reanaclaire,
    Thank you hehe!

    Sophia darling,
    Haha it is easy just dont plan:p

    chapot,
    Oh thank you very much! :)

    Jessica,
    Thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a note. I love to know what you think!

press me

3 hungry tummies

My photo
melbourne, victoria, Australia

linkwithin