Saturday, July 27, 2013

Silky Eggplant With Spicy Mince Sauce 香辣肉碎茄子



Working up to 9 hours a day 6 days a week in a commercial kitchen without adequate support means I rarely cook at home these days. And when I do, simple no fuss dishes such as this soul warming eggplant dish from my childhood days are the preferred choice.

What's not to like about a bowl of silky pieces of eggplants swimming in a spicy mince sauce? It reminds me of home and even after I discovered the exotic fish flavoured eggplant (魚香茄子) from Sichuan, it continues to be my most favourite eggplant dish of all time. 

P.S It's good to be back knowing there are still readers who continue to read and cook using recipes from my once abandoned blog. Also a big thank you for all your encouraging comments since my return!



serves 4 to 6 as part of a Chinese meal
you'll need;
1 kg of oriental eggplants or continental eggplants, cut into chunks
oil for deep frying
5 cloves of garlic, chopped
5 bird chillies, chopped
3 cm knob of ginger, chopped
2 tbs of yellow bean paste
1 tbs of fermented black beans, chopped
2 tbs of oyster sauce
2 tbs of dark soy
3 tbs of sugar
a good splash of Chinese cooking wine
2/3 cup of water
corn flour solution
2 spring onions, chopped

for the mince;
250 g of mince of your choice
1 tbs of light soy
1 tbs of Chinese cooking wine
1 tsp of sesame oil
a pinch of white pepper
1 tbs of corn flour



Chop garlic, chillies and ginger and set aside. Chop spring onions and set aside.



Cut eggplants into large chunks, soak in water for for 15 minutes and drain well. This prevents the eggplant from soaking excessive amount of oil during the frying process.



Soak off excess water from the eggplants with a tea towel and fry eggplants in hot oil in batches until golden and tender. Drain well and set aside.



Saute chopped garlic, chillies and ginger with a little oil until fragrant then add in the mince and continue to cook on high heat, breaking up large lumps until the mince is no longer pink.



Add yellow bean paste, chopped fermented black beans and the rest of the seasonings and mix well, cook for a minute on high heat, stirring constantly.



Add water to the pot and bring it to a simmer, check for seasonings.



Return fried eggplant to the pot and mix well, when it returns to a simmer, slowly add in the corn flour solution to thicken the sauce. Add chopped spring onions and mix well.



Serve with plenty of steamed rice and enjoy! :)

13 comments:

  1. So glad that you have found the time to blog your recipes again...I really missed them.

    This recipe looks great to feed the hoards, and as you suggest, easy and kid friendly too. Hopefully I can give it a go next week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been following your blog for a while and I am so glad you are back! Thank you! My hubby will be extra happy as he always loves the recipes I have tried from your blog Suresh. Thank you once again

    Jacqueline

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been away from blogging and such since January and what happened to my parents. I am easing my way back and it is so comforting to come back here I feel like home. So good to see you active again too, I've missed you Suresh.

    This dish looks just as comforting as your space here does. I wish that dish of delight could jump off the screen right onto my table....like now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've looked through many blogs about home cooked asian food and you sure do know what you're doing! keep going, kudos :))

    ReplyDelete
  5. hmm... yummy yummy, I like the gg plants

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is one of the best article I have ever read about your writing. Learnt a lot from the post and also from you, Keep writing
    เว็บย่อลิ้ง
    เว็บย่อลิ้งค์
    ย่อลิ้ง
    ย่อurl
    ย่อเว็บ

    ReplyDelete
  7. Its really good information, i like your blog post. Thanks for sharing
    slotxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. เว็บสล็อต ที่ดีที่สุด สล็อตเว็บตรงฝาก-ถอนไม่มีขั้นต่ำ สมัครสล็อต วันนี้ลุ้นรับโบนัสตั้งเเต่เริ่มเกม Luckywin98 เว็บรวบรวม สล็อตแตกง่ายสล็อต เล่นฟรีที่นี่เลย

    ReplyDelete
  9. สล็อต 1688

    เพียงไม่กี่ขั้นตอน ก็สามารถเล่นสล็อตออนไลน์ได้ โดยยอดเครดิตใน User ของผู้เดิมพันเสมือนเหรียญที่หยอดในตู้สล็อต

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a note. I love to know what you think!

press me

3 hungry tummies

My photo
melbourne, victoria, Australia

linkwithin