Wednesday, August 24, 2011

BBQ Honey And Soy Chicken With Cucumber, Watercress And Toasted Sesame Salad



It was a beautiful Sunday afternoon; a pleasant 20C, sunny, blue sky with not a cloud in the sky. I bumped into an old friend on the street after picking up a few essentials from the grocer. She mentioned lunch and I said "why not I cook something simple and we can have that in the garden?" and that was what happened next.

BBQ chicken and a refreshingly light salad was quite an appropriate dish to welcome the early arrival of spring I think, besides it is so simple to prepare leaving us plenty of time to catch up and enjoy the lovely afternoon.



recipe from the tummies' kitchen
serves 3 to 4 as a one dish meal
you'll need;
7 chicken thighs, excess fat removed
1 continental cucumber
1 bunch of watercress, picked
a pinch of toasted sesame seeds

for the marinade and dressing;
5 cm knob of ginger, grated
2 cloves of garlic, grated
6 tbs of Japanese soy
2 tbs of honey
2 tbs of mirin
2 tsp of sesame oil
juice from half a lime



Prepare the marinade/dressing, check for seasonings and adjust the taste.



Marinate the chicken pieces with 2/3 of the prepared marinade/dressing for at least an hour or overnight for the best result.



For the salad - use a vegetable peeler to peel/slice the cucumber lengthwise into long and thin ribbons and mix with the picked watercress. Dress the salad with the remaining marinade/dressing and sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds just before serving.



BBQ the chicken thighs until golden and cooked through.



Rest chicken for a few minutes and serve with the dressed salad. A nice crisp white went down very well with our meal in the sunny courtyard.

12 comments:

  1. Se ve deliciosa la carne.

    Saludos

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another great recipe and I can't wait to fire up my bbq soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yum! I often do this, in the oven instead of over the grill though, because I don't have one ):

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so nice to be able to bbq at the garden. I doubt I would wanna do it in KL when it's so hot :p

    ReplyDelete
  5. Grilled chicken and salad? Need I ask for more! Holy smokes, this is even better than eating in a restaurant. Besides, what better way to catch up with an old friend than having some barbecue in the garden, right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it, what a perfect marinade...the story reminds me of a song :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful post, lovely pictures and yummy recipe! Will surely try this out! tc;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I cooked this last night- and I swear my boyfriend nearly proposed. Definitely a favourite that will be cooked again and again in this house. Thanks- I love your work! Sara

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Sara,
    I am so glad you actually tried and liked it. :) thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a note. I love to know what you think!

press me

3 hungry tummies

My Photo
melbourne, victoria, Australia

linkwithin