Friday, September 2, 2011

Smoked Salmon, Spinach And Goat Cheese Frittata




It is officially spring Down Under but there isn't too much excitement around perhaps because we had just experienced the warmest August on record..... however it is a good thing when Melbournians are not complaining about the weather.

Simple, lighter meals are slowly replacing the more hearty staples but knowing how unpredictable Melbourne weather can be, there will sure to be a few more stews and bakes in the coming months. At the moment though this is the sort of food I prefer to cook and eat on a sunny afternoon.

The good thing about frittata or omelet is the choice of what one can put in is endless and I am sure there will be a few more post on frittata from me in the coming months.



serves 2 as a one dish meal
you'll need;
7 free range eggs
50 to 80 g of smoked salmon, roughly chopped
3 spring onions or 1/2 bunch of chives, chopped
100 g of goat cheese (caprino or feta), crumbled
1/2 a bunch of spinach, blanched, refreshed, stalks removed and chopped
salt and pepper to taste
olive oil for cooking
dressed rocket to serve



Prepare the spring onions, goat cheese and smoked salmon.



Blanch spinach for 10 seconds then refresh with cold water. Remove the thicker stalks, squeeze of excess water and roughly chop.



Beat eggs with the tiniest amount of salt (since both the smoked salmon and goat cheese are quite salty) then mix it with the rest of the ingredients in a larger bowl and season with some freshly ground black pepper. 



Add some olive oil into a hot 10" pan and pour in the egg mixture. Use a fork to distribute the ingredients evenly and cook on low to medium heat for 8 to ten minutes.



Place the frying pan into the preheated oven or under a grill and cook until the top of the frittata is golden.



Serve frittata slices with a simple dressed salad. 

6 comments:

  1. Indeed spring is already here and this is a perfect dish to serve on a beautiful spring day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Harriet From CarltonSeptember 2, 2011 at 5:53 PM

    It looked very appetizing and healthy too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I love the idea of putting smoked salmon in a frittata- never crossed my mind before- I'll have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. my stomach is growling... and I am so hungry, if only I had some smoked salmon laying around! delish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is my contribution to father's day lunch later and I am here to print out the page :) using feta instead and I am very excited!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gosh, this sounds pretty awesome!
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a note. I love to know what you think!

press me

3 hungry tummies

My photo
melbourne, victoria, Australia

linkwithin