Monday, February 14, 2011

Prawns In Mandarin Butter Sauce 金龍報喜 - Reunion Dinner 2011 Part 3

For our final dish I created a new dish with a rather auspicious sounding name (金龍報喜, kam long bo hi - roughly translated as golden dragon announcing good news) instead of prawns in tomato sauce (乾煎蝦碌)which was initially planned. Mandarin (柑, kam) is a must for Chinese new year as it sounds like gold in Cantonese, where as prawns (蝦, har) is popular because it sounds like laughter. Give it a try and let me know what you think. Butter was an after thought and it certainly gave the sauce a much rounder finish.
P.S My Malaysian Monday post will be postponed until Tuesday or Wednesday so stay tuned. I am trying another internet company hopefully we can be connected by the end of the week.

recipe from the tummies' kitchen
serves 2 to 4 as part of a Chinese meal
you'll need;
600 g of whole prawns
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
5 cm knob of ginger, finely chopped
2 shallots, finely chopped
rind from a mandarin, pith removed and finely sliced
2 spring onions, sectioned, finely sliced lengthwise and refreshed in a bowl of iced water
1 cm piece of butter
corn flour solution for thickening

for the sauce;
juice from 4 mandarins
1 tbs of light soy
1 tbs of rice vinegar
1 tbs of sugar
1 tsp of sesame oil
1/2 cup of stock
salt and white pepper to taste

Prepare the aromatics, spring onions and mandarin rind.

Mix all sauce ingredients in a bowl and check for seasonings.

To dress the prawns - cut away the pointy end of the heads and remove the sand sacks.

Pan fry prawns in batches until golden (70% cooked) and set aside.

Saute chopped ingredients with a little oil for 20 seconds before adding the sauce ingredients. Bring it to a boil.

Return prawns to the pan and mix well. Add butter and simmer prawns in the sauce for a minute before thickening the sauce with a little corn flour solution. Check for seasonings.

Place prawns onto a serving plate with sliced cucumbers and garnish with sliced spring onions and mandarin rind. I am very pleased with the result and I hope you will be brave enough to give this a try.


  1. That is a nice combination of prawns and oranges. To be honest, not tried it before!

  2. I would be pleased with the result if my cooking look like these delicious succulent prawns!

  3. OMG, this is killing me! I love the sauce. You're darn good at this. Thanks again for sharing such delicious looking dish. Btw, have a wonderful Valentine's day! :o)
    Cheers, Kristy

  4. Oh you are so smart! Love the name and your creativity!

  5. Hey, that's very original! Very auspicious name you've given it too!

  6. Very creative indeed. I am very curious about how the sauce tastes :)

  7. WOW! Very beautiful and delicious dish, perfect for CNY :)
    Happy Valentine's Day!

  8. Very beautiful dish! I can just imagine it would be so aromatic with the mandarin rind. You've tempted me very much :) Good luck with the internets people.

  9. favourite again! Suresh, you always make great prawn dish. I'm drooling :D Happy Valentine's Day!

  10. You are a Master of culinary picks, my friend.

    Now as for your recipe, looks and sounds delicious, as usual.
    Very creative dish!

    Happy Valentine's Day!

    Big hugs!
    B xx

    Where are you? Haven't seen you around lately.

  11. I am loving this! Very smart with words ")

  12. Yummy! Love how you used the mandarin peel.

  13. The mandarin sauce is a beauty. This is in my future. And how could I resist something titled, "Golden dragon brings good news?" I should write a play around that title!

  14. Beautiful dish!



Please leave a note. I love to know what you think!

press me

3 hungry tummies

My photo
melbourne, victoria, Australia