Saturday, August 28, 2010

Mee Hoon Kueh 麵粉粿 Hokkien Hand Pulled Noodles - Merdeka Open House 2010



This is an everyday home cooked meal of many Hokkien households in Malaysia and Singapore; although one should  not confuse it with the popular Taiwanese snack that shares the same Chinese name (麵粉粿) which is more like a savoury pancake. I first discovered this delicious dish when I moved to Singapore and I haven't looked back since. Many of my blogger friends have blogged about it and since this is my first attempt, I decided to share it with you too. I am using a recipe by Amy from Cooking Crave that I bookmarked many months ago and I can see why her whole family is a big fan of this humble but hearty dish. One doesn't need much for this dish; a few everyday ingredients and a big warm heart will turn out mee hoon kueh just like a any Hokkien mother's.
Like many Chinese dishes that would normally contain pork, this dish is virtually unknown to many of my Malay and Muslim friends. I am making this a halal version and I hope everyone will be able to give this a try too. I am submitting this to Babe In The City - KL's  Merdeka Open House 2010.

Remember to check out our second Muhibbah Malaysian Monday roundup too

P.S The dough can be rolled out and cut into fettucini shape noodles, it will be called pan mee (板麵, pronounced ban mian in Mandarin) instead.



recipe adapted from Cooking Crave
serves 2 to 3 as a one dish meal
for the noodles dough;
250 g of plain flour
1 egg
1 tbs of cooking oil
100 ml of water pinch of salt

for the broth;
1/2 cup of dried anchovies (ikan bilis)
1.5 L of stock or water
1 tbs of tong choi *(冬菜, pronounced dong cai in Mandarin)
1/2 cup of dried soya beans
1/2 cup of dried mushrooms, soaked in hot water for 20 minutes and drained.
2 garlic clove, chopped
* a type of preserved vegetable
- Fry anchovies with a little oil for a minute then add in the stock or water. Add soya beans and tong choi and simmer for 20 minutes. Saute garlic with a little oil then add in the mushrooms and cook for a minute or two, add content to the sieved broth.

you'll also need;
100 g of chicken meat*, sliced
shuzaicai** (樹仔菜, sauropusandrogynwsL.Merr), picked or
choysum, cut into manageable lengths
2 spring onions, chopped
crispy shallot
1/2 cup of dried anchovies, fried til crispy and drained well
cut chillies
*Use leg or breast - marinate chicken with a little soy, sesame oil, pepper and corn flour.
** Also known as mani cai or sayur manis 



For the noodle dough - Mix all ingredients in a large bowl to make a dough, adding more flour if dough is too wet.. Knead dough for 5 minutes or until it springs back a little when pressed with a finger. Cover dough with cling film and rest for an hour while you prepare the other ingredients.



Saute mushrooms with garlic; marinate the chicken slices; clean and slice the choysum.



The prepared toppings.



Add the saute mushrooms into the anchovy broth and simmer for 15 minutes.



Tear a small piece of the dough; flatten it with your finger tips, pull and stretch to thin out the dough.
















Drop the noodle sheets into the boiling broth.



Try a piece of the noodles and when it is almost done add in the marinated chicken follow by the vegetable.



Top with the crispy anchovies, chopped spring onions and cut chillies.



I am pretty happy with my first attempt and I think I will be making this again very soon.












I made some pan mee (cut noodles) using the leftover dough.



This is my version of the popular dry pan mee, something I whipped up after reading this post by my friend CW. I will do a separate post on this.

41 comments:

  1. Fabulous looking dish and well done with your first attempt! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Harriet from CarltonAugust 27, 2010 at 6:03 PM

    This is another must try dish for me! I made your glass noodles with poached chicken today, fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow! homemade ya untuk mee tu ;-) nmpk best sbb i suka sup2 mcm ni, list saya dah panjang lah tummy bilalah nak cuba ni ya :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. 對呀! 臺灣的麵粉粿可不同呢 :) 好美味的一碗麵食呀

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh lamanya tak makan me tarik sendiri ni..sedapppnya.Makcik belajar dari seorang kawan chinese muslim beberapa tahun yang lalu...suka sangat.Terima kasih.Akan cuba versi tummy pulak.Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. delicious and healthy one dish meal...:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi tummy... saya penah skali try mee nih.. tp hasilnya agak tebal. lenkali nak try lagi la ikut resepi nih. saya suka sup dia tuh...

    ReplyDelete
  8. tummy, i miss this very much. I just suggested my friend this afternoon to have this for our next gathering. Now saw urs i really feel to have a big big bowl :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember eating lots of this when I was young. My mom used to cook this cos she loves to eat it very much. We dip the dough pieces in chili sauce....very delicious. I need to cook also. The soup has to be very tasty. Your looks very tasty with ikan bilis.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is one of the dishes that my mum loves to prepare in those hot summer days.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are dishing out fabulous dishes everyday. I learnt something new from you everyday! This looks absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. A great dish to involve the boys! Looks absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mee Hoon Kueh is one of my faves! I always have to go back to my fave hawker centre for it when I go home to Singapore.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is new to me, its a must try :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Tricia F ,
    Thank you very much!

    Harriet ,
    Thank you! I am glad you like it!

    ijayuji ,
    Haha cubalah satu per satu :)

    大肥 ,
    謝謝!

    makcikmanggis,
    terima kasih makcik. Baguslah kalau makcik sudah pernah masak hidangan ni :)

    little panda ,
    Indeed :)

    Jay ,
    Thank you very much!

    hana ,
    Ianya boleh dinipiskan pakai rolling pin :) cubalah lagi!

    Jane,
    Haha I bet you will have a great party with this ;)

    MaryMoh ,
    Oh that is sweet :) It is wonderful with the ikan bilis stock

    Angie's Recipes,
    I bet you have her wonderful recipe :)

    rosa,
    Thank you very much!

    love to eat ,
    Oh they will have fun with this!

    Celeste @ Berrytravels ,
    I heard it is hard to get this in Singapore hawker stalls anymore. Is that true?

    Pham ,
    Thank you and please do! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great job! I love Mee Hoon Kueh too, good idea to make a halal version :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just had this today for lunch at the food court. I must bookmark it and cook for my family. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hmmm this looks delicious.I have to make this! But I'm not gonna lie,it looks a bit scary.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Awesome job with the hand pulled noodles, such a delicious dish!

    ReplyDelete
  20. your food always looks so yummy. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the anchovies soup! I can always count on you to work up something authentically homely and wholesome.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is a very interesting post. Love the idea of homemade noodles.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I grew up in such Hokkien households :) You first attempt looks fabulous and you will get my mum's approval on this!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is new to me but interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  25. oh that looks like a lot of work.. but then the end result looks yum.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great first attempt buddy! Love the dry version with egg too! Have eggs for you so come and collect.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Looks good and I want some now!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Yummm.. this is one of my all time favourite!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Yes, I like pan mee served this way, hand pulled! Nowadays they'll just pass the dough through the noodle maker, saves time! Yours look so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wooowww...super rico como siempre.
    Besotes.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Fabulous dish..pics looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  32. good work Suresh! I might try this one sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  33. looks delicious lovely pictures
    http://torviewtoronto.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  34. You are a pro. what a wonderful attempt :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Great dish!
    Looks absolute divine! Great combination of ingredients.

    My p/c got fixed at last!

    Big hugs

    B xx

    ReplyDelete
  36. This is exactly what I did for the noodles party! HIGH 5... great mind thinks alike :) Have to love the broth with anchovies.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Although I'm Hokkien, but my mom never make this for us. For the 1st time, I made it just now, for lunch. Pretty tiring...

    ReplyDelete
  38. I'm not the least bit of Hokkien. But I've had this dish many a time! I love the anchovy-savored soup base!

    Have heard about you from Shirley of kokken69., Glad to have found another fellow Malaysian who loves to cook! Will return for more inspirations! Keep it up! =)

    ReplyDelete
  39. hi...3T....ada resepi buat mee wantan x? means wantan noodle homemade

    ReplyDelete
  40. Hi 3HT, I am dying to cook dry mee hoon kueh but it is hard to find recipes for the sauce! You mentioned in this blog post that you will be posting the recipe for your dry pan mee. But I couldn't locate it. Will you be able to share the recipe for the sauce? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a note. I love to know what you think!

press me

3 hungry tummies

My photo
melbourne, victoria, Australia

linkwithin